With Halloween just round the corner, I’ve spotted some great recipes on the ‘home made by you‘ Sainsbury’s website where they’ve come up with some cute pumpkin and ghoulish surprises that will entertain kids if you’re having a party and want to make some homemade treats.
I love these and the recipe seems fairly easy to conjure up too:
Photo credit: homemadebyyou.co.uk/ Sainsburys
- 250g sushi rice
- 300ml carrot juice
- Juice of ½ orange
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp salt
- 16 green bean tips
- 2 pitted black olives
- Rinse the rice in cold water, then drain. Add the rice along with the carrot juice, orange juice and 50ml water to a saucepan. Stir in the ground cumin and salt, then bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, then turn off the heat and leave to stand for 30 minutes. Uncover and leave to cool.
- Shape the rice into 16 balls, pressing firmly with your hands. If the rice sticks to your hands, lightly sprinkle them with water when rolling.
- Make the pumpkin stems by sticking the green bean tips on top of the balls. Make the eyes and mouths by cutting the olives into shapes and pressing into the rice balls.
I think this is a brilliant recipe and will definitely try it at home with my kids.
Look at these – we’ve selected a couple of cute baby Halloween bibs so they’re not missing out on all the fun – these adorable spooky bibs by Zippy are £4.99 in our Amazon shop –buy bibs here
These are so much fun and so easy to do too – again, courtesy of Homemadebyyou.co.uk by Sainsbury’s:
photocredit: homemadebyyou.co.uk/ sainsburys
- 2 red apples, cored and halved, each half cut into 6 wedges
- 2 tbsp toffee sauce
- 10g pink and white vanilla-flavoured mini marshmallows
- Sit the flatter wedges of apple on a board and spread the top sides of each with a little toffee sauce. Stick a line of mini marshmallow teeth on top.
- Spread one side of the remaining apple wedges with a little toffee sauce, then sit them on top of the marshmallow teeth.
For loads more spooky Halloween recipe ideas and ideas for family meals, visit homemadebyyou.co.uk